2. They are not joking when they say baby poo changes a lot in the first fortnight – from marmite black to pesto green to luminous yellow fluorescent gunk… Variety is the spice of life!
3. It’s also true what they say about little boys and their fountains… Aim south!
4. It takes a lot of planning to go out – an awful lot of stuff is needed to take a newborn outside, so plan ahead
5. It’s impossible to maintain a fitness regime in the first few weeks – the dad bod is an inevitability
6. Visitors can be exhausting in the first few weeks, but are also vital to help you keep sane and to offer advice and support
7. Films/TV shows with subtitles are a great solution for sleepless nights when you don’t want to wake a just pacified baby
8. It’s fantastic when friends bring round food – if you know anyone who has a new baby, make them a lasagne now
9. Babies cry, a lot, but it doesn’t always mean they are in mortal danger. It’s their only way of communicating
10. Every day my son gets more beautiful and fascinating
11. Sleep is overrated